Thursday, December 9, 2010

Easy-PEASY, Grain-Free Flatbread...

I dropped gluten products from my diet several years ago...
however...
I've been glutened enough times, somehow, someway  Hmm 2 
to elect going even further... 
All factory-milled anything OUT...
whether it be gluten-free grains, legumes, etc...
It's an experiment...
Home-milled flours from legumes are what I'll use...
until I can get a handle on this.
Some legume flours just don't taste so pretty to me...
but...
I found yellow split peas make a great tasting flour when
home-milled.
So, when I get hungry for bread...
or want an easy pizza dough...
here is what I make...



 All you need are:
1 large iron grill pan
Tbsp of olive oil + a pat of butter (for pan)
1 cup water
3/4 cup yellow split pea flour
1/4 cup tapioca/cassava flour
2 Tbsp cornmeal
2 Tbsp yogurt (optional)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp chopped rosemary (optional)

Directions:
Put the iron pan into the oven and turn on to the highest setting
and let it heat up while putting the ingredients together.
Whisk together the flours, salt, yogurt, rosemary and water
Bring out the pan (with a padded glove, please!)
and put in the oil and butter, letting the butter melt.
Spread the batter into the pan and return to oven.
Turn your timer on to 10 minutes.
Take out the pan after the 10 minutes and with your largest spatula
(you can use good gripping tongs);
turn over the flatbread.
Put it back in the oven and bake it for another 10 minutes.
Turn off oven and let the bread sit for about 5 minutes.
Take out, cool slightly.
And eat.

Whisk the ingredients till lumps are gone

Bake the batter for 10 minutes

Turn over...carefully!...bake another 10 minutes

Let the flatbread sit in oven for about 5 minutes
(oven turned off)

Cool, eat, enjoy.
For a great pizza, bake the dough first... 
then add whatever you like on it with a little pizza sauce...
and put it back in the oven for about 5 minutes

Have an easy-peasy day, or night   Flippy 

7 comments :

  1. Interesting...I have a friend who is gluten free and is trying to get me more interested in this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am going to print this out and try it for sure. That looks yummy I have been wanting something to use as a pizza crust. You read my mind hehehe......Thanks for Sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you find the pea flour or do you grind/mill it yourself. If so, what method do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I get my pea flour from a local who grinds the legumes and sells the flour. I will be grinding my own as soon as my grain mill comes in. You can get grain mills from kitchen stores and some hardware stores that sell kitchen items or look up grain mills on the internet where you will find different companies who sell them. I understand there are different mills for different people, prices and how you will use them, so it's best to check them out for what you want a grain mill for. I hope this helps a little. Thanks for visiting and your question!

      Delete
  4. My husband and I are trying to go wheat/gluten free. It's great that there are tasty alternatives available. I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a fun day looking back through all your posts... thank you so much for sharing the loveliness of what life can be in God's will and in God's world yet today! Can hardly wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having a fun day looking back through all your posts... thank you so much for sharing the loveliness of what life can be in God's will and in God's world yet today! Can hardly wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete