Refrigerator Duty and a Casserole Dish


If I could live without a refrigerator...
I would

some people do
some by no choice and some by choice

always, there seems to be too much stuff in the fridge...
and when cleaning-it-out-time comes around...
it is an eager chore for me to clean out what isn't usable anymore...
and using up any leftovers from the day before

because once that refrigerator duty is done...
I get the same feeling as when at the end of the day and all the dirty work is done...
after-shower time feels clean and good, once again


this time around, I let it go a little too long...
and there wasn't much hiding in the back nor did I find any mold...
not that it hasn't happened in the past, mind you

I did find two tamarinds that had fallen down to the bottom beneath the veggie drawer
they are still good and will be used in my cooking


then there was the question of this thing found at the bottom with the tamarinds
at first, I could only ask myself...
"what isthis??"


then, I remembered that some time ago, we had long narrow eggplants...
picked from the garden...
and evidently this one managed to burrow itself down below

I thought it was quite interesting that it curved as it dried over time...
into a question mark, as if to ask...
"what am I?"

this dried up "question mark" now hangs over the knob of my grandfather clock...
as a good reminder the refrigerator needs cleaning out every so often...
and my cleaning skills are not so perfect


supper consisted of leftover mac and ground beef casserole and a salad with yogurt dressing
our neighbor butchered one of his bulls not long ago...
and I minced some of the meat we bought from him...
to use in the casserole making enough for more than one meal

it's an easy casserole to make and this recipe is gluten free:
if you are not gluten free, you can just use regular macaroni elbows
if you want to make enough for the freezer for another meal, just double or triple the recipe
it all depends on how many will be eating
this recipe made one 8 by 3 inch deep casserole dish

*cook a 16 oz. package of brown rice macaroni elbows in salted water till just aldente (not quite soft)
*brown 2 pounds of minced meat with 1 large chopped onion in a saucepan with a little oil
*add some salt, black pepper, minced garlic, chili pepper; all to your taste
*in a casserole dish, layer 1/3 cup of spaghetti sauce on the bottom
*layer half the sauteed minced meat mix on top
*layer half the cooked brown rice macaroni elbows
*spread some grated cheese on top with as much of whatever cheese you like
*layer again with spaghetti sauce
*layer with the remaining minced meat 
*layer with the remaining macaroni and spaghetti sauce
*generously sprinkle with cheese
*optional: you can top with some crumbled corn chips (or bread crumbs) if you'd like
*bake in the oven on 350* for 45 minutes
and enjoy


May your day or night find grace in the Lord.