Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Why We Came to the Island...

It isn't a long story...
and there are days when I do wonder...
how did we come to be here on this Caribbean island?

(our seaside cottage)

my husband, Don, is an island boy...
born and raised on this particular island far south in the caribbean sea

(our cottage seaside view)

and although I was born American...
I was raised in South America by my missionary parents...
little knowing that not so far away...
my island boy was growing up

we met in America, married, had two children
we visited my husband's home a few times...
and after the children left home to go out on their own...
we talked of going back to the island on a permanent basis

(an island of mountains and valleys)

we had grown tired of the rat race and the noisiness of "civilization"...
the gated communities, the materialism...
the complicated system of regulations and laws that dictate...
even the very color of one's own front door...
what you can have in your yard and how one can use their land...
the taxes that seem to get higher with every year...
requirements by law that keep a person bogged down living from paycheck to paycheck
and the laws against healthy foods, such as raw milk

(a view from my husband's boyhood home)

it took a few years to get to that point...
and in February 2008, we made the big move...
living in a seaside home before moving to the farm where the location...
is more conducive to having animals and growing crops that otherwise...
didn't do well by the salty air

this island is low on taxes (no income tax, in fact)
has very few laws and regulations that strangle farmers and homesteaders...
instead, encouraging people to eat healthy from their gardens and own animals
does not require us to live by laws that sap our monies
we have freedoms here that Americans have lost long ago

(lovely beaches)

in saying that...
Don and I know that truly the Lord brought us here...
for whatever reason we had...
God has His own for bringing us to this island

we do not know if we are here till He takes us home to Him...
or if perhaps, He may take us elsewhere
it doesn't matter

I know that the Lord does all things well...
and His will is perfectly suited to His children's welfare
we wait on Him to guide

May your day, or night be blessed in the grace of God.
jean


13 comments :

  1. I can see why you live on this beautiful island. I am sure God will continue to bless you and your family. It looks like a dream come true. I know about the laws regarding how all the yards and homes have to look a certain way to fit in. Fortunately, I'm in an easy going neighborhood and I hope it remains that way for a long time.
    Great post! David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! The words, the photos, the story!

    Is there a cottage for sale on your little island? You've easily convinced me to pack my bags:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OurCrazyFarm, I'm sure a cottage could be found : )

      Delete
  3. Beautiful place to live....

    I understand why you moved....what are the laws regarding education specifically home education?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs.Rabe, there are no laws against homeschooling your own children. And, there are no specific regulations regarding such. You are free to educate your children as you see fit.

      Delete
  4. What a great story. Too bad America has surrendered to vain and deceitful philosophies that take men captive. You seem to have a beautiful place. Wish I was that courageous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to live somewhere where people can just BE. Your island seems so peaceful. It's always interesting where we end up when we let God lead. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean! I finally know your name now and I don't have to call you PC. :)

    Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story. I've wondered how you landed in Paradise. I feel the same way about what's happened here in the states.

    I'm curious - if you don't mind my asking. Do you have a church or fellowship group there?

    Many blessings sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, in spite of churches on "every corner", there is much spiritual darkness here and no Biblical teaching/preaching. We have looked into several churches that claim the true Gospel and yet, when we checked them out, the teachings are so far from truth, we could not go back. We are still looking for some true believers and hopefully a fellowship. Only the Lord knows who, if any, He has here on this island. The good thing is that, Don has been able to tell the Gospel to many individuals here with God given opportunities. One never knows the real reason we are here, except the Lord. Our desire for fellowship with other believers and Don's preaching the Gospel is a real matter of prayer. We covet any prayers on your part if you are so lead.

      Delete
    2. Jean, Would you mind emailing me please? There's something I'd like to run by you. Blessings.

      Delete
    3. fogot to mention my email is dianebucknell AT prodigy.net

      Delete
  7. Your faith is admirable. What a beautiful place your husband grew up in and now has led you both to live. It is something about all the little detailed laws here in America, even down to what kind of milk can be sold in the stores.
    I'm sure you both are good hard workers keeping up the land the Lord has blessed you with. It's always nice to 'see' how one does/live in a place that seems so far away. I am blessed to visit with you through blogsphere.
    Blessings & Peace to you and your husband:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *meant to say how the Lord has led you both to live....

      Delete