Coal Pot Cooking

We tumbled a couple of large trees that were giving the cocoa orchard...
too much shade for it's own good

with all the wood we now have, we have coal to last us for quite a while

so, even though my set up has much to be desired, as yet...
in the meantime...


I set up the coal pot...
put the coals in it and set it on fire...
not the whole world, just the coals in the coal pot

the bottom part of the coal pot catches the ashes...
as you can see in the photo below
these ashes will go into the garden as compost


I had some of our home grown chicken marinating in curry sauce, sea salt, onions and garlic

the dutch oven was put on the hot coals...
some coconut oil put in and then the chicken
once the chicken sauteed a few minutes...
2 cups of water was added and cooked for about 20 minutes

as you can see by the photo below, that is real chicken...
as the meat really looks before cooking
homegrown, range-free chicken has a stronger, richer taste...
and as long as the chicken is not older than 7 months...
is tender and doesn't take long to cook


once the chicken has cooked to it's 20 minutes time...
diced tomatoes and carrots are added with about 1/2 cup tomato sauce...
another cup of water...
and left to simmer for another 20 minutes till the liquid has thickened down considerably


what I need for my set up is a table and a grill to set on top of the coal pot...
that will come along in the near future...
then perhaps, I can show you a better post on using the coal pot and dutch oven

for now...


I'm glad my chickies know better than to get close to this hot cooker


once the chicken was finished...
I tried my hand at making cornbread

well...I learned something

if you want a very burnt bottomed cornbread...
just set the pot directly on the coals


since we don't really care for well burnt cornbread (it just doesn't taste so good)...
I let the chickens have it


they happily picked off the good parts


even being good enough to share it with the doves
well, I think the doves actually went more for the cooked brown rice


since I had no grill for the coal pot...
the oven grill had the temporary privilege of crowning the top...
so the pots of food could all have a ball having a hot, hot, hot party under the sun


I kept the chicken warmed along in a smaller pot with some cauliflower...
some basmati and wild rice with cauliflower leaves...
and the second batch of cornbread that turned out quite alright with the grill on top


May your day or night find warmth in the grace of my Lord and God.