Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Honey of a Day...

Come on over the fence...
see what we've been doing this day.


Our beehives have been calling...
the bees have made more honey than they needed for themselves.


We are waiting on our own honey extractor...
meanwhile, a beekeeper who helped us get started in beehiving,
came and did the honors with his own extractor.


This is one excited man, a.k.a, my husband...
who got into beekeeping for my sake.
He is probably even more excited about the whole thing...
than even I.


We managed with just two hives...
to garnish approximately 4 gallons of honey.
I would say, that is enough to furnish us for a while.


Isn't honey beautiful?
Raw, amber colored honey...
we can taste the flowers in this honey from the trees and plants around the farm.


We kept a few combs just to have the pleasure of chewing the honey out of them...
soooo good!
Even the little fellow lizard below came around for some.
When I saw him licking a drop of honey sliding down the bottle...
I put a little piece of honeycomb in front of him and he bobbed his head up and down.
He licked at it until he had his fill, then slipped away.
These are the joys of beehiving.


"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb,
sweet to the soul,
and health to the bones."
Proverbs 16:24

May you find honey blessings in the Lord today.

6 comments :

  1. Good for you for having such a great success with you bees and honey.
    My hubby started last year with his bee keeping and still is in the learning stage. He ordered new bees for a second hive and put them in 2 weeks ago, only to have the heartbreak this last weekend of having the first hive empty when he checked. I am going to direct him to your blog, to follow along with your hive progress. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been studying beekeeping for awhile and am thinking about dabbling. The amber colored honey is absolutley beautiful! Congrats on your sweet harvest*wink*

    Blessings for you week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow look at all that wonderful honey and look how happy your hubby is hehehehe!! and that Green Anole looks like he appreciated the treat as well. That honey is gorgeous!! Enjoy it and praying that your harvest will bring you good health ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so beautiful and delicious. You should drop by Knatolee's World as she is a beekeeper, too.
    Have a wonderful day and thanks for your comment.
    Hugs, Deb=^..^=x5

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beehiving? Oh my! The buzzing sounds of the bees make me a bit nervous, so I don't think I could do this kind of job. However, it must be a blessing to be able to make your own honey, and I bet it tastes good too. I use honey every time I make homemade bread dough of some sort.

    Oh, that was cute what you said about the lizard. I didn't even know they would eat honey. I guess that's the advantages of living on the farm - you get first hand learning experiences of many different things each day. :)

    -L. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are considering getting bees. This looks so exciting!

    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete