Thursday, May 3, 2012

Solution...

We have a small tomato patch in the back of the cottage


we love eating tomatoes...
but, so do the chickens

and because we range free our fowl feathered creatures...
I needed a solution to their tomato thefts


cheesecloth was my best solution

I cut the cheesecloth into smaller pieces and loosely wrap tomatoes as they start to turn pink


since then, the thieving has stopped


yeah, little peeper...
you get the bugs and I get the tomatoes


May the Lord bless your day, or night.

7 comments :

  1. I've thought about a quanset hut made out of pvc and chicken wire that you could easily lift to get inside. Or an "A" frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought about that. This little tomato patch is almost done and will be razed shortly, but I may do something like your suggestion next time. Thanks, Mark!

      Delete
  2. Extremely clever fix! I planted a few tomato plants yesterday, in our little raised bed. We fenced it in, hoping to keep Boone out(his big feet are so destructive). We shall see! I had forgotten until reading your post just now, how last year our thieves were the squirrels. Hopefully this year, w/ Boone in the yard, they won't have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so trying this! Our problem is with deer mostly and the squirrels. I am thinking you are onto something with the cheesecloth! Thanks for the good idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!

    It's always nice when you can find a solution to a problem, that works!

    More yummy tomatoes for you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea - those tomatoes look like they will be delicious!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have just signed up as your latest follower & I look forward to popping back soon.
    x
    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  6. great solution!! ... as I was trying to 'learn' how to keep the pickleworms out of my lil' garden I read that putting a brown bag over the cucumbers as they grow will stop them!

    the chicken thieves are too cute:)

    ReplyDelete