Mathematical Laundry Soap...



On our island...
we get in many imported detergents...
and almost none are to my liking

I don't care for the unnecessary amounts of ingredients that don't make laundry cleaner...
and only add toxic chemicals into our bodies as well as being ineffective, costwise

we do get in the Jamaican made blue laundry soap that does a satisfying job of cleaning...
and instead of bleach, I use the small squares of blueing 
I make these go a long way for me and here's how


I grate the cake of blue soap on the small grater holes...
and usually 3 bars at a time...
3 bars will make me enough for 30 loads of laundry washings


it makes a beautiful pile of soft tiny flakes that will be easy to melt without a pot


I store the flakes in a jar with a lid and keep a tablespoon in it for measurements


Please note!
I do not use the flakes in the washer, they will only get stuck in the laundry so...

to make my liquid laundry soap...
I put two tablespoons into a 24 oz size jar...
which is a good manageable size for shaking


the jar is filled with hot tap water to about about 3/4 full


like so...
this is to give the foam room and doesn't build up pressure in the jar when shaken


the jar is shaken just until the soap flakes get to melting...
then, the jar is set aside overnight and the soap will continue to melt into liquid form...
it will have a slight jell effect to it...
and when I go to do a wash...
I catch some of the hot water coming into the washer to fill the jar up...
and shake to melt the jell
I use one full jar for a load of wash and need nothing more
after all, it's already a laundry soap


the blueing square is simply put into a 16 oz size jar with some hot tap water...
allowing it to completely melt
I use about 2 tablespoons per load...
and I dilute it heavily before putting that into the washer as it fills with water

and the math?

the tiny cake of blueing is about 40 cents per square...
and gives me 15 loads

at 35 cents a blue laundry soap bar...
which gives me 10 loads of wash without all the chemicals and unwanted fragrances...
well, it cost almost next to nothing in soap, which spells...
sweet savings


May the Lord bless your day or night.