Deep Bedding Chick Composting...


When we built the chicken coop...
we put it directly on the ground instead of flooring it

I knew that the chickens would need something softer than concrete...
or hard wood and certainly not a wired floor...
to land on when flying down from the roosts come morning

it's a risky thing to have chickens land on their feet onto hard flooring...
because it can be a cause of bumblefoot ...
which is a painful and too often potentially fatal foot injury


so, I went multi-tasking on the deep bedding area of the chicken coop on the ground


every time the yard gets mowed down of high grass...
I dump it into the coop in the corner...
where I've cleaned out the composted grass of the last mowing... 
giving the coop about 6 to 8  inches of new deep bedding


the composted grass which has now turned into great soil and fertilizer...
gets put into a bucket for my next seed sowing in pots


you can see how the fresh green grass in the corner will eventually...
turn into great compost which can be used for any garden use


it takes approximately 2 to 3 months for the chickens to turn it into garden food


they fertilize it during the nights from the roosts...
I turn it over with the rake every morning...
to get all the dirty stuff they dropped to the bottom of the bedding...


the chickens turn it over and over looking for bugs when they come in and out of the coop...
and over time...
it turns brown and becomes... 


beautiful, soft, highly fertilized soil to start my seeds with

and the chickens sure like it

who needs a nesting box?



I did a bit of pruning last week to get one of our avocado trees higher over my head...
and since my husband gave the go ahead and trim anything that was in my way...


rather than struggling to push my way through the branches to the chicken coop...


I now have some clear paths to get from the cottage to the chicken coop...
and no worries of tree branch swipes to my eyes



this little hen decided my husband's cluttered work table is a good a place as any...
to lay an egg


indeed, she did...
and Pip, the hand raised roo, thought it behooved him to watch over the process...
and make sure no one bothered her while she was busy


I do believe it's time to clear that clutter

May your day or night be blessed in God's grace.