Thursday, May 31, 2012

Jamaican Mint Tree - Updated...

I originally posted this on May 28...
but, after doing a little more research on this tree, have decided to update this post
and bring it forward to this day of May 31...
in order to share the information I have learned concerning this interesting plant
the updated part is between the asterisks further down the post

Recently, research finally gave me my answer as to what this tree is


when we first saw it at the nursery...


it was so pretty to me with it's tiny leaves and big peppermint fragrance...


it had to go home with me


the nursery person told me it was a mint but, didn't know the exact name of this tree


since bringing it home...
it has been flowering tiny white blossoms that last a good long time

after a few months, it is still flowering and packing a strong, heady fragrance


in doing the lookup at these sites...
or
this is what is said on this delightful tree

it is called the Jamaican Mint Tree, aka Costa Rican Mint, aka Kama Sutra Menta

it is believed to have originated in southern Europe and brought to the Caribbean from Austria

it carries a pure, intense peppermint fragrance

it can grow between 6 to 10 feet in height with a woody, upright stem

blooms repeatedly...
mine has not stopped blooming

****
this tree also goes by the name of Jamaican Peppermint 
and you can click on the name to find out the culinary, nutritional and medicinal purposes
by the way...
it is noted in this website that if the leaves of the Jamaican Peppermint are heated...
any toxicity is neutralized 

there have been some studies done on this plant and it gives the conclusion that the Jamaican Mint Tree
does indeed have medicinal properties

it is important to note that plants in general tend to have medicinal properties

some plants have much stronger properties than others and need to be taken in moderation...
some in small quantities 
and it is wise to research such plants before using them... 
especially if you are on pharmaceutical drugs, due to possible negative interactions

I believe that God blessed mankind and beast with all the different plants He created...
in order that we could have natural and healthy food and medicine sources

they do work, if we learn how to properly use what He has given us...
unlike most of the dangerous, synthetic drugs that are made today 

when the Lord created the earth, He said,
Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed,
which is upon the face of all the earth,
and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed;
to you it shall be for meat.
Genesis 1:29

He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle,
and herb for the service of man:
that he may bring forth food out of the earth....
Psalm 104:14

****


May your day, or night be blessed in God's grace.

But, I have trusted in Thy mercy;
my heart shall rejoice in Thy salvation.
I will sing unto the Lord,
because He hath dealt bountifully with me.
Psalm 13:5,6


15 comments :

  1. A tree that smells like peppermint? Sign me up!! I have a native mint plant here that has an intense mint smell that I love. Great buy! We always win when we trust our instinct. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi i am in the UK and have searched for this many times but cant can you let me know where i can get a plant please

      Delete
    2. Val, you would need to check with nurseries where you live or online to find one. From where I am, am not able to tell you how to get one. I hope you find what you're looking for.

      Delete
    3. Val, I got mine in Cornwall at 'Hardy Exotics' - not far from Penzance. This will survive in Manchester - or so I am led to believe. They can be found on the internet.

      Delete
    4. Would be grateful for some seeds, i have searched so many times finally found on ebay us but they dont ship to Uk.

      Delete
    5. Would be grateful for some seeds, i have searched so many times finally found on ebay us but they dont ship to Uk.

      Delete
  2. I love plants that have a peppermint smell. I love this little white flower and the little leaves.
    Have a nice evening,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please make sure that you read about this tree and inform yourself well because growing up in Costa Rica we had one just like it in my house that I know of its not edible and in fact in big quantities it could be poisonous. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunshine, thank you for letting me know. I will check it out and until I know more will take down the edible info on it for everyone's safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your farm is just beautiful! I am continually amazed at how many different things you are able to grow because of your location! From the pictures you seem to be on a never ending vacation, although I know with all the farm chores you are not! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jamaicans call this black mint. it is used for teas to remedy upset stomach and gas

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up drinking the tea from this bush. I have a wonderful bush growing in my yard. My neighbor gave me and it is doing so well. Have not noticed any flowering yet...delicious...children love it too with a little brown sugar..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had this plant in my backyard in Jamaica and used the leaves to make mint tea. As far as I know it is not poisonous. I live in Toronto, Canada and have been trying to get a plant for years. Can you let me know where I can find one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Anonymous. The one I have in my yard was from a local nursery here on the island but, it was the only one they had and I am not able to say where you could get one in Canada. Look around at your local nurseries and ask. Or go internet and see if you can locate a nursery that sells them. I hope you find one.

      Delete
    2. This mint can be found at Ritcher's herbs if you live in Canada. They have an online store. It is called Jamaican peppermint and as far as I know it is not poisonous. I grew up drinking it and I am still alive.

      Delete