Quiet, but Not Always So Simple





I always wonder what people mean by the "simple life"

is life really simple?
lots of thoughts from various perspectives could be debated on this subject


in any case...
I can tell you that...
life on Pilgrim's Farm and Cottage is quiet for the most part...
but, not always simple

(our bean bushes are flowering)

while we live without some amenities of the modern world...
simply because we have no need of them...

(the tomatoes are coming along very nicely)

we do have to also live with nature and it's realities...
as well as it's beauties

(our newest puffballs)

sometimes, life can be less than simple when the difficult parts come along...
often as surprises

  (our milk goats down from the hill to have their treats for the morning)

but, we find it important to take the bad with the good
they both come from the Lord

(where our goats love to roam and romp)

we are grateful to the Lord for all the things He teaches us...
both through life and His Word in the Bible

(Darla, the doe, peeking through the trees up in the woods)

and truly...
He has blessed us with the ability to live life in quietness

*****

my herb garden is a bit slow in coming...
but, it is getting there
here are a few of the things that are now in my herb garden


I finally got the "big thyme" (Cuban oregano) and the aloe vera planted
they were both given to me by a friend...
and that made me happy as I needed some of those


the tumeric rhizomes I planted a couple of months ago...
are doing beautifully in the pot
I love how the sun shines through the pretty leaves

the Shado Beni in the small pot has bolted
I will plant the seeds that come from that one
I will tell more of this herb later


the "wild" mint tree is doing well since being planted into the ground
the breeze gently blows the bells along side of the mint...
and gives off a pretty tinkling sound now and then

somehow, that feels just right in the little garden


a couple of months ago...
I also planted two grapevines and have they taken off!

how nice it would be if in the future...
they produce a few clusters of grapes


and lastly...
after having forgotten about pot pie meals...
I made one and it turned out pretty good

it's been several years since I made one due to gluten free flours...
not making the best pastry for such things


I did manage to find some good gluten free flour mixes that worked well...
and here is how I made chicken pot pie

I cooked a home grown chicken and cut into bite size pieces


I diced potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and garlic...
and sauteed them until they were tender
I sprinkled a generous bit of powdered sage into the vegetables... 
then salted and peppered them


I melted 4 tablespoons of butter in a pot...
whisked 4 tablespoons of cornstarch into the butter...
added 1 cup of chicken stock into the cornstarch mixture


I added 1/2 cup of milk cream and 1/4 cup of adagio cheese...
whisking it all together as they were poured in


I added salt and pepper to taste


I made and rolled out the gluten free dough...
one to fit inside the casserole dish...
and one for the top crust
you can find gluten free (or regular flour) dough recipes on the web


honestly, I surprised myself
it turned out tastier than I thought it would


my time on the computer has run out


May your day or night bloom with the fragrance of Christ's grace.